- Recorder's Office
- Open Records
Tennessee residents are entitled to access public records, under reasonable conditions, and to copies of those records upon paying the costs of making the copy. The more precisely you can identify the record you seek, the more responsive we can be.
City of Gallatin, TN Public Records Policy.
Some records are not automatically posted online for many reasons, including they may not be of widespread interest, they are simply too large, or they contain confidential information. Many of these records may be obtained through a Public Records Request, though there are some exemptions to disclosure as determined by state law.
The City of Gallatin provides access to existing public records in its possession; however, the City is not required to collect information or organize data to create a record not existing at the time of the request.
If the record is not available online please use the following form to initiate an open records request. Email this form to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submit an Open Records Request
You can submit your request to the City of Gallatin using the Public Records Request Form or in another written format that contains the following information:
- Name of requester
- Date of request
- Phone, email, and/or address of requester
- Adequate identification of the records for the Public Records Request Coordinator or Records Custodian to locate the records (title and date, if known)
- Location (department) of the requested records, if known
- Whether the requester intends to inspect the records or obtain a copy of the records, at the cost set forth in of the City's Public Records Request Policy
How the City will Respond
Within seven business days of receipt of the request, the City will do one or more of the following:
- Make the records available for inspection or copying
- Identify an internet location where the record can be accessed. Anyone who makes a request, but cannot access the internet may be provided hard copies or access to a City terminal to access the record
- If copies are requested and payment is received, send the copies to the requester
- Provide a reasonable estimate of when records will be available
- If the requester is unclear or does not sufficiently identify the requested records, request clarification from the requester. Such clarification may be requested and provided by telephone or email. The public records request coordinator or custodian may revise the estimate of when records will be available
- Deny the request
There is no charge for inspection of records.
If copies are requested, an estimate of costs will be provided to the requester before copies are made to ensure the information is still wanted.