- Recorder's Office
- Business Licenses
A Business License is an annual tax for doing business within the Gallatin City limits. The City of Gallatin Municipal Code requires that a business obtain a license when it conducts any business activity within the city limits. A business doing work within the city limits is required to obtain a business license if it is located outside of the city limits when the total revenue exceeds $50,000 annually. This requirement includes home-based businesses, building contractors, independent contractors and nonprofit businesses.
Standard Business Licenses
If the business is located in the City limits of Gallatin and subject to the business tax (i.e., annual taxable sales are $10,000 or more), they must obtain a Standard Business License before conducting business. If a business has multiple locations, it must have Standard Business Licenses for each location. The licenses must be displayed and are nontransferable. Please note you must also obtain a Standard Business License from the Sumner County Clerk.
Minimal Business LicensesIf the business is located in the city limits of Gallatin and the annual sales are over $3,000, but under $10,000 you must obtain a Minimal Business License. Please note you must also obtain a Minimal Business License from the Sumner County Clerk.
FeeThere is an initial $15 fee for each license obtained from the County Clerk and the City Clerk. The license will expire 30 days after the return is due, but will be automatically renewed after the business has filed a return and remitted the tax due to the Tennessee Department of Revenue.
Steps to Obtaining a Business License
- Determine what type of permits are needed for the business.
- Contact any agencies required for the business before filling out the Business License Application (i.e., State Board of Equalization for your Seller's Permit, Health Department if handling food, City of Gallatin Planning Department if business is run out of home, Alcoholic Beverage Control if selling alcohol, Planning Department for zoning, signing, home occupation, Public Works Department for issues involving utilities, Codes Department for clearance for fire codes, or Police Department for security issues.)
- Complete the Business License Application.
- Sign and return to Gallatin City Hall's Recorders Office (1st floor) with the $15 Business License Application fee.
- If you are operating a business, it is recommended that you come to City Hall as your application will have to go through the Planning and Building Codes Departments.