- Police Department
- Animal Control
- Chickens & Bees
- Owning Bee Hives in Gallatin
Owning Bee Hives in Gallatin
Apiaries (domesticated beehives) are permitted in the City of Gallatin.
Permitted DistrictsApiaries are permitted in the following districts:
- A - Agricultural Residential
- R40 - Low Density Residential
- R20 - Low Density Residential
- R15 - Medium Density Residential
- R10 - Medium Density Residential on lots, parcels or tracts of greater than one-quarter acre in area
- R8 - Medium Density Residential on lots, parcels or tracts of greater than one quarter acre in area
- R-6 - High Density Residential on lots, parcels or tracts of greater than one quarter acre in area
- In Commercial districts, including:
- MRO - Multiple-Residential and Office,
- OR - Office Residential
- SP - Specific Plan
- CS - Commercial Services
- CG - Commercial General
- PGC - Planned General Commercial
- PNC - Planned Neighborhood Commercial
- CSL - Commercial Service Limited
- PBP - Planned Business Park,
- In Commercial districts with a contiguous open space area, the dimensions of the open space area shall be equal to or greater than one-quarter acre and shall be provided on a single lot, parcel or tract. Large expanses of linear open space areas shall not qualify as suitable open space. The open space area shall generally be of similar distances or dimensions in width and length.
- IR - Industrial Restrictive
- IG - Industrial General
Prohibited DistrictsApiaries are prohibited in the following districts:
- MU - Mixed Use
- MUG - Mixed Use General
- MPO - Medical Professional Office
- GO - General Office
- CC - Core Commercial
Property to Colony Ratios
- One-quarter acre to one-half acre - 2 colonies
- One-half acre to one acre - 4 colonies
- More than one acre - 6 colonies
However, no apiary or colony shall be located within 200 feet from an existing apiary or colony or an inhabited dwelling.
Beehive Colony Locations
- All beehive or colony structures shall be located in a side or rear yard.
- All beehives or colony structures shall be located at least 10 feet from any property line.
- On properties without a principal structure, all hives and colonies shall be located behind the required front building setback lines as established by zoning.
- All beehives and colonies shall be setback no less than 50 feet from a private right-of-way or public street right-of-way.
Gallatin Planning: 615-451-5890
- Planning and Zoning: 615-451-6097