Palace Theater

Historic Palace Theater Crowd
The South's oldest silent movie theater in its original location has been restored and now shows current movies, hosts live shows, concerts and performances.

Palace Theater on Street
Palace Current Day
Crowd In Front of Theater

History of the Theater


The oldest silent movie theater still standing in its original location in the State of Tennessee. Being owned and operated by Bill Roth, the Palace Theater thrived as a community theater from 1913 until 1977. During these years the Palace was a focal point on the historic downtown square.

After Mr. Roth’s death in the early 1990s, the theater was purchased at auction by Johnny and Sonny Garrott and subsequently donated to Greater Gallatin, Inc. for renovation. The property is found to be the oldest silent movie theater still standing in it’s original location in the State of Tennessee and therefore was made a local historic landmark and listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The Tennessean


Palace sign to get modern-day early 1900s make-over. Gallatin’s historic Palace Theater will be without its trademark sign for several weeks as crews begin work to restore it back to the way it looked in the early 1900s.

In June the theater, which celebrated its 100th anniversary in November, was awarded a Rural Business Opportunity Grant from the United States Department of Agriculture to restore the sign. The project will cost $18,477, of which $4,000 is being covered by Greater Gallatin, owner and operator of the facility.

Read a news story about the restoration process.

Helpful Resources