A fence permit is required prior to constructing a fence or wall on your property. Prior to applying for a fence permit, it is the responsibility of the property owner to construct a fence or wall that complies with the guidelines of the Restrictive Covenants in their neighborhood or obtain approval from their Homeowner's Association if applicable.
The following definitions shall be applicable to the terms as used throughout the fence requirements noted below:
Site Plan - a depiction showing the size (height) and location of proposed fence or wall construction, fence materials, existing structures on the site and distances from lot lines, and any easements recorded.
Fence - a structure meant to provide a barrier enclosing an area of ground to mark a boundary, control access, or prevent escape.
1. An application must be made to the Building Department, accompanied by a site plan. A site plan may be in the form of a plot plan, a scaled survey with marked location of the proposed fence or wall, illustration or map of the property, provided it clearly shows the boundaries of the property. See below for more information on obtaining a site/plot plan of your property.
2. Upon application for a proposed fence or wall to be constructed, the Building Department will review the application for compliance with current adopted zoning and building codes. The Planning Department and Building Department will review the application for compliance with all pertinent city ordinances and Gallatin Subdivision Regulations.
1. A Planning Department review fee of $15 is required for fences or walls less than 6 feet in height.
2. A Building Department review and processing fee of $60 and a Planning review fee of $15 will be charged for fences or walls 6 feet or more in height.
12.01.010 Visibility at Intersections
On a corner lot in any district, except CC, nothing shall be erected, placed, planted, or allowed to be grown in such a manner as materially to impede vision between height of two and one-half (2 1/2) and ten (10) feet above the center line grades of the intersecting streets. Sight distance for subdivisions shall meet the requirements of the subdivision regulations.
12.01.015 Permitted Obstructions in Required Yards
No accessory structure or projection shall be placed in a public utility or drainage easement except where such structure or projection can be removed at the property owner's expense to permit maintenance and repair of utility lines.
12.01.020 Fences, Walls, and Hedges
Notwithstanding other provisions of this Ordinance, fences, walls, and hedges may be permitted in any required yard or along the edge of any yard as follows:
A. Fences, walls, and hedges must comply with Section12.01.010, Visibility at Intersections.
B. No fence or wall shall be installed so as to block or divert a natural drainage flow on to or off of any other land.
C. Appearance - Fences and walls shall comply with the following standards:
a. In residential and mixed use zone districts, fences and walls shall not exceed a height of four (4) feet in a required front yard and six (6) feet in a required side and rear yard. Any fence installed in a front yard shall be of no greater than 50 percent opacity (that is, it shall obscure no more than 50 percent of the view into the land). If a fence is constructed on top of a retaining or other wall or berm, the combined heights of the fence and wall shall net exceed the maximum height that would apply to a fence or wall alone, in relation to the grade on the highest side of the wall.
b. In commercial districts, fences and walls shall not exceed a height of four (4) feet in a required front yard and ten (10) feet in a required side or rear yard. Any fence installed in the front yard of any lot in a commercial district shall be no greater than fifty (50) percent opaque. In industrial districts, fences and walls shall no exceed a height of six (6) feet in a required front yard and ten (10) feet in a required side or rear yard. If a fence is constructed on top of a retaining or other wall or berm, the combined height of the fence and wall shall not exceed the maximum height that would apply to a fence or wall alone, in relation to the grade on the highest side of the wall.
c. Fences or walls provided to meet the requirements outlined in Section 13.04, Transitional Buffer Yard Design Standards, may be exempted from the location standards as necessary to meet the requirements of that section when approved as part of an overall landscape and buffer yard plan.
d. The Zoning Administrator may approve driveway entry features, including, but not limited to, decorative columns and gates, at a height greater than the heights specified in Section 12.01.020.C.5 a through c.
6. Maintenance - All fences and walls shall be maintained in good repair and in a safe attractive condition, including but not limited to replacement of missing, decayed, or broken structural and decorative elements.
A plot plan, copy of a marked survey, or site plan prepared to scale by a registered surveyor is preferred. If you do not have a plot plan, survey or site plan, you may follow the instructions below to print out an illustration/map of your property. You will need to add additional information to the map in order to meet the requirements of the fence submittal process. See example above for information required on the drawing.
How to print a site plan/map of your property:
Select Sumner County Government's then follow the steps below:
1. Select - "I accept the terms of this agreement";
2. Search by Name or Address;
3. Select your name or property from the search results;
4. "X" out of the pop up box displaying your name in the middle of the property;
5. Select "Print Map" at top of screen;
6. Enter address in Title;
7. Select "Create Map"
8. Once it's finished creating map select "Click to Download your PDF";
9. Roll mouse over bottom of screen to select print, or right click mouse and select print